Thursday, January 20, 2011

Worry Sets In

I knew this was gonna happen...A small amount of panic entered my body yesterday. I started thinking 'what if they messed up?' 'what if they removed too much spasticity and now he's too weak?' 'what if he'll never walk again?' I had these unrealistic expectations and, when they weren't met, I began to worry. Also, I spoke to other mothers whose children were independent walkers before SDR and were back up and walking again after only a week of recovery. So I called the nurse. "Should I be worried because I was expecting Davis to be able to walk again at this point and he can't even stand up on his own." "No. Not at all." She assured me that his high level of weakness at this point is to be expected given the amount of tone that the doctor removed. Once he starts intensive therapy next week we should see his progress really take off. I also vomited some sentences about how his incision is much larger than we thought it was going to be. The nurse told me (for the second time!) that the doctor had to go up higher on the spine once he found so much spasticity in his back.

I breathed a sigh of relief. My heart rate normalized. All is well. Just stay patient, Andrea. This is gonna take time. Time. Time. Time.

5 comments:

Jennifer Tyson said...

Just relax friend!!! Like I said it will all come when Davis is ready!! It will all work out in time! I love you and I already got Davis a "replacement gift" hopefully he won't have this... Maybe just send me pictures of everything he has?.... Haha!!

Danielle said...

“Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.”

Elle said...

He will do great! I wish I was there to come and keep you company while you are stuck at the house!

Love you guys!

Andrea said...

thanks, friends, for the encouragement!

jessica andres said...

Your big boy is a strong lil' sucker and he'll start to improve so fast, you won't be able to keep up! Can't wait to see his progress. Woould like to bring him pudding tomorrow!