Friday, January 14, 2011

Rhizotomy

I figured I should bring the blog back to life so that I can document this ordeal.

Davis underwent the Rhizotomy procedure to decrease the spasticity in his legs and, through intensive therapy afterwards, hopefully walk a little more 'normal', improve his quality of life, and give him some more independence.

SDR involves sectioning (cutting) of some of the sensory nerve fibers that come from the muscles and enter the spinal cord. Two groups of nerve roots leave the spinal cord and lie in the spinal canal. The ventral spinal roots send information to the muscle; the dorsal spinal roots transmit sensation from the muscle to the spinal cord.


At the time of the operation, the neurosurgeon divides each of the dorsal roots into 3-5 rootlets and stimulates each rootlet electrically. By examining

(EMG) responses from muscles in the lower extremities, the surgical team identifies the rootlets that cause spasticity. The abnormal rootlets are selectively cut, leaving the normal rootlets intact.This reduces messages from the muscle, resulting in a better balance of activities of nerve cells in the spinal cord, and thus reduces spasticity.

Before they took him back for surgery, the doctor gave him some meds to calm his nerves, but what it really did was send him to another planet. He acted so drunk, but it was really entertaining and took all of our minds off of what was about to happen.

So, then it was time...Justin and I gave him kisses, told him we loved him and would be waiting for him when it was all over, and completely fell apart when he got out of sight.

After the surgery (and 4 long hours), we met him in his overnight room and prepared for what we thought was going to be a really rough time. But I have to say I now know, without a doubt, that my son is the strongest, bravest, most resilient child I've ever seen. I know he's in pain, but he's only barely mentioned his back hurting. He's supposed to lay completely still, on his side, for 3 days and has complied wonderfully. He's eating and drinking enough to amaze the doctors and nurses. Every 2 hours, the nurses come in to check his vitals and flip him to the other side and that's the only time he cries.

It's Friday now and we've basically spent the last 2 days watching Toy Story and Gumby on repeat. He can't even sit up enough to play Angry Birds on my phone. :(

I plan to take footage of his progress during the next few months...soooo...here's his before shot...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading the details of the surgery made me cringe. It's an incredible thing that you and Justin are doing for him and he will have an amazing life no matter what; I am sure of it!
Alyssa

JBB said...

Davis is such a strong little man! And you and Justin are fantastic parents :) I hope you are so proud at the mom you are! I am :)
Hope Davis continues to improve, you are all in my prayers!

Danielle said...

I am so excited to read the details of his journey!

Doc & I are thinking about y’all and hope everything is okay.

Please let me know if you need anything. Smooches :)

Stacy said...

So glad to hear that Davis is doing so well! He is definitely a little trooper...keep us posted on his progress!

We're thinking about all of you and love you all the days!

Mandy Kirn said...

Davis is awesome! I know you all will all come out of this as an even stronger family.

Andrea said...

Thanks guys for all your support and encouragement! I LOVE me some compliments! They just go straight to my little head! ;)