Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kindergarten Lesson 2

Always give hugs before bailing out.

Davis is a complete creature of habit. Everything in his life has to be consistent. If he does something a certain way once, it has to be done that way every time after. No matter what.

Examples:


  • He has to have water before bed. Normal, right? Well he also has to turn his Lightning McQueen drinking cup where Mater is facing his mouth before he can take a drink. Not normal, right?

  • Also, he has to be the one to lift the drain after his baths every night. Total meltdown ensues if one of us does it instead.

  • After brushing his teeth and rinsing his mouth out, he HAS to tap the spit cup on the side of the sink three times. Very OCD, I know.

  • I could go on, but you get the idea.
Back to the lesson. I got side-tracked.

Davis gives me a hug and a sugar every morning before getting out of the car. This morning, though, hugs and sugars were not exchanged, resulting in a complete meltdown in the carpool line. I drove off (instead of making a sharp right into the first parking spot I saw and running to his aid with open arms) and could see him screaming, crying, and throwing himself on the curb through the rearview mirror. It killed me that I forgot the hug (for the second time this year, mind you), but I can't baby him, right?!?! It was so bad that my girlfriend sent me this email:


"Erin told me about Davis this morning!!! Is he ok?!"


Yikes.


As soon as I got home, I called his para-pro's cell. She going to hate that she ever called me from that phone. :) I emailed his teacher AND sent my my girlfriend who teaches 3rd grade a text asking her to check in on him. His teacher replied with this:


"He is doing great! I talked to him this morning and I told him that he would see you soon and he calmed down and got to work. I am so proud of him for working so hard every day. He is a great listener and a great role model in our class."


I love her. And my Wooder. Quirks and all.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hahaha!! Awwww! I'm sorry It just broke my heart when she told me!!! Tomorrow 674 hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm glad he still had a good day after missing mama hugs. I bet he got lots when the day was done. Love Mrs. J, glad the kids have her!