Wednesday, February 9, 2011

He's Better Than The Best

Once again, I panicked. Why, after 4 weeks, is Davis still not walking on his own???

I called Scottish Rite and spoke to one of their on-site PT's. I let her know that my son had the Rhizotomy procedure done 4 weeks ago and is still not walking independently. I asked if she was familiar with that particular operation and its recovery process and whether or not I should be concerned. She told me that he shouldn't be walking for at least 8-12 weeks. His muscles are so weak right now that if he was able to walk, he'd quickly fall back into his old walking patterns and start using the wrong strong muscles to compensate. She told me that, upon discharge from the hospital, we should have been given a wheel chair and that that should be his primary means of getting around right now. It'll take about 2-3 months of intensive therapy to retrain and strengthen his hip and leg muscles before he'll even be able to walk 'the right way'. He can practice walking in therapy, that's it.

I know you're wondering 'why weren't they given this information before surgery?' Well, we were. Kind of. I remember them telling me that he shouldn't even try to walk for the first month. But I forgetted. Oops. And I was comparing him to other kids who were walking within a week or two. It sounds like it's actually a blessing, though, that Davis is too weak to walk because when we were practicing with him at home we could see how what the therapist said, totally made sense.

I relayed all this information to Davis' wonderful and amazing therapists and they immediately began researching vendors that loan out wheel chairs. Within two days, this bad boy was at our front door step...
Davis LOVES it! And Justin's having lots of fun with it, also!



Dadda, PaPow, and Davis went 4-wheeling and rabbit hunting earlier this week...

And we had a wonderful, surprise visit from Pop and Busha...

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! We're taking Davis to Monster Jam at the Dome tomorrow night and I...CAN'T...WAIT!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! Monster Jam is so much fun. I can't wait until Parker is old enough to enjoy it! Make sure to post pics of the fun you all will be having!

jessica andres said...

YEAH!!! Grave Digger baby!