Thursday, April 23, 2009

Davis and Justin were fortunate enough to get invited to the Hawk's Game last night. That's right...my 2 year old has been to an NBA Playoffs Game and his 26 year old mother hasn't...whatever. OMG...I just realized that I'm going to be 27 this year. TWENTY-SEVEN! That's almost 30, people! I wonder when/if my maturity level will ever catch up??? Anyway...I was so happy that Justin decided to take Davis with him. I'm all about the 'making memories' stuff right now. Although, when I called to check in, Justin's exact answer to my, 'How's it going?' question was this, "He's just too young for this. I gotta go. He's throwing a fit on the stairs right now." BUT they got through it.


Davis had his school evaluation this morning. Wow. That was one of the more overwhelming situations I've experienced with my special needs child. I'd compare it to pulling into the parking deck at Scottish Rite for the first time to visit Davis. We were greeted by a group of about 6 women; all of them being therapists (speech, occupational, physical, psychological) and a social worker. They basically grab Davis and head to one section of the room and ask me to sit down for a 'few questions' (a 'few' meant 'two hundred'). For the next hour and a half, I answer questions like 'Would you say that Davis never, sometimes, or usually uses a spoon and fork correctly?' 'Would you say that Davis never, sometimes, or usually verbalizes two or more words at the same time?' 'Would you say that Davis never, sometimes, or usually can dress and undress himself?' And on and on and on and on...Meanwhile, Davis is sitting at another table being asked questions like 'Lucy's hands are dirty. What should she do?' 'What do you drink water out of?' 'Where is the circle?' 'Davis can you sit criss cross applesauce?' 'Davis, how old are you?' And on and on and on and on...There's so much pressure to really answer the questions correctly because if you embellish his intelligence, he may not qualify for the services that he needs, but if you low ball it, they may want to throw him in a padded room. All of my answers were followed by detailed explanations like, 'He follows directions, but only if it's something he wants to do. I know he knows what I'm asking him to do, but it's just a matter of whether or not he's going to listen to me. You understand? So, my answer is usually. No, sometimes. Well...can I use a lifeline?' It was stressful. Plus, I was trying to listen in on Davis' answers and kept translating his words for them...'He's saying purple!' Or 'He wants you to give him the ball with the dog character on it!'
From everything they all gathered during the meeting, they'll develop an IEP (Individualized Education Program), which is basically a Davis handbook with goals, his specific needs, etc. His teachers and therapists at school will all follow this IEP. It's important for them to have a good understanding of Davis' intellectual level because he needs to be placed in the proper environment where he has the most potential to thrive. We'll see what happens. The whole time we were there, I just kept thinking, 'I can't believe this is my life.'

No comments: