Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Hair Nets and Plastic Trays

If you have a school-aged child, you know about the MealPay Program.  It's a monetary account, specifically for your child, that handles any food/beverage/snack/etc. transaction at school.  The parent puts the money into the account online and the child spends it as he/she wishes using their student ID number. 

Letters are sent home to notify you if you're account balance gets too low.  Children aren't deprived of food until you're $10 in the hole, at which time the poor kid has to eat a grilled (probably microwaved) cheese sandwich. 

Anyway...I'm trailing off...

I always put about $20 in at a time, knowing that all Davis ever purchases is a 50 cent chocolate milk to go along with his packed lunches.

I received a letter stating that Davis owed $3.50.  Thinking it was way too soon for his $20 to be spent, I logged onto his account to check his purchase history.  There were $1.25 charges for 'general breakfast' purchases every single day plus random $1.00 transactions. 

Well, there must be a mistake.  Davis eats breakfast at home.  And I drop him off at school about 10 minutes before the bell rings.  There's no way he's walking ALL THE WAY to the back of the school where the cafeteria is, purchasing his second breakfast of the day, eating said breakfast, walking ALL THE WAY back to the front of the school where his class is located.  Someone is using his student ID number and stealing MY money.

I call the lunch room manager (yes, they exist), give her D's ID number, and explain my confusion about these breakfast charges. 

"Oh, yeah.  Davis is coming in fairly late every morning and buying breakfast.  We have to put it in a brown bag for him to take to class.  I talk to him personally every morning.  It's definitely him.  You didn't know?  It looks like he's also buying Gatorades and muffins every now and then.  I can put a stop to the Gatorades and muffins, but not the breakfasts." 

So, for one, everybody there is thinking that I, not only don't feed my kid breakfast, I can't even get him to THEIR breakfast on time.  And for two, why the hell is he all of a sudden doing that!?!?!  I'll fill you in when he gets home from school. 

No comments: