Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back To School...

My mom (a registered nurse) and grandmother (a former x-ray tech) have, my entire life, encouraged me to enter the medical field.  So, when it comes time to enter college, what do I do?  I get a Marketing Degree...just like Dad.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I have no desire or intentions of ever using it, of course.  I took finding out I was pregnant one week after graduation as a sign...I retired at the ripe old age of 23, deciding that I was destined to be a stay-at-home mother...especially after giving birth to Davis, spending 16 weeks with him in the NICU, and knowing the extra help he'd always require from me. 

This has been my role for the past 6 years...with the addition of two more little pitter pattering feet on the hardwood floors.  Mind you, in those years, I've taken on the responsibility of helping Justin with the paperwork side of his business (mostly so I'd have something to do besides wipe asses) and made a small profit off my knitting hobby. 

Over the past few months, I've started to panic maturely contemplate my life 3 years from now, when Reese is in school all day.  Maybe it's my upcoming 30th birthday or maybe it's the concerning amount of mustard I've consumed my whole life, but I'm AH CHANGIN', PEOPLE!!!  What will I do with those 32.5 hours every week?  Will I go through an identity crisis because I no longer have any asses to wipe?!?  I really don't want to join Corporate America because, remember, I'm retired from that.  :)  I see how hard Justin works every day as a construction worker and business owner and I don't want him to have to bust his tail well into his 50's.  I think I should, and want to, contribute more when I don't have children at home with me all day, everyday.  I also want something for myself, outside of my home, that I can feel proud about...but, in turn, greatly benefit my family.

During our last family vay-cay to Pensacola, my mom, once again, says to me, "You should really go back to school and get your nursing degree.  You'll always be able to find work, get paid well, and the hours are so flexible so you can still be home with the kiddos after school.  You can practically make your own schedule."  And, there's it was.  My 'ah-ha' moment.  The clouds, literally, parted. 

On the way home, I started researching and researching and researching.  I was on a high.  I couldn't stop talking about it.  And didn't stop until I stumbled upon Chattahoochee Tech's website.  They had extended their Fall 2012 enrollment deadline to August 8th (another 'sign'), one week later than where I stood at that moment.  I got my official transcripts from UGA and KSU during that week, marched up to Admissions on August 6th, was handed my Student ID#, and signed up for 3 classes yesterday.  Done deal, folks. 

The real, serious question is this...Will I or will I not gain the dreaded Freshman 15???

1 comment:

Lindsey R. :: LRstitched said...

So excited for you! woohoo back to school shopping!