Monday, September 16, 2013

Competitive Gene

Davis HATES losing.  We all hate it, but he really, really does.   If you've ever been around my brother while he either played a sport or merely watched one on TV, you'd know exactly where the trait was passed down from.  I've also been known to toss my tennis racket a time or two on the court.  And cuss words fall out of my mouth on the reg. 

Anyway, back to Davis...

The kid literally cries when UGA loses a football game.  He gets angry with Justin when he and Matt don't get first place during Monday night fishing tournaments.  If he answers a question wrong, he'll tell you to re-ask it just so he can blurt out the correct response and then immediately celebrate.  He doesn't even care that you just gave him the answer.  Other physical outburst triggers include...Mario Slugger's Wii game, racing to the car, getting his York Peppermint Patty wrapper off first, being the first one to what him and Reese have deemed 'the best seat in the living room'...I could go on, but you get it.

The poor kid doesn't win foot races.  He just can't.  He's also not the strongest, most coordinated kid around.  And I, alone, can say this because he came out of my belly.  He's constantly challenging people to race, wrestle, etc.  Sadist?  Or just super, duper determined?  Who knows for sure.  Because of this, though, we're presented with numerous opportunities to vomit the whole 'winning isn't everything/be a good sport/stop crying, they only lost by 1' spiel.  I think we need more practice, though.  It's rooted deep in his being. 

When we're alone, he and I, we like to talk about how much we love each other.  I always say, "You're my first baby, ya know.  You'll always be my first."  To which he proudly and enthusiastically replies, "That means I win." 

Yes.  Yes it does.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Love it - 'I win cause I win.'