Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Boy Being A Boy

Average monthly water bill at the Hunt Rd Residence: $15

We don't have irrigation, the garden uses the shop's water line, and I shower, on average, once every 2 days. There's so many more things I'd rather do with my 'the baby's sleeping' time.

A couple weeks ago, we all headed out for the night to stay at my mom and Jay's house. Justin and I went out with some friends while my parents watched the kids. Before leaving, though, Davis snuck around to the side of our house, turned on the water hose, splased around in the mud for a moment, and headed back to greet us at the car. We were in a hurry and didn't think much of it.

Fast forward to the next day...

I'm standing in the bathroom and can hear water running through the pipes in the walls. That's weird. We JUST got home. No one's doing anything that requires water. I look out the kitchen window to find a lake running through our yard. Davis left the water hose on. We had water running outside, continuously, for about 14 hours.

Water bill for this month: $44

Do the math, folks. That's almost 3 months worth of usage.

Five year olds don't pay bills. What do they care???

4 comments:

Jennie McCollum said...

He is obviously aware of the big drought 2011 and was just making sure you guys were prepared by building a reservoir! Wise beyond his years :)

Mandy Kirn said...

Well you will have one really green patch in your yard!

Danielle said...

How is it you have a household of 4and I am just 1 but our water bill is almost identical??

jessica andres said...

I'm with Danielle...there's 3 of us. I don't necessarily shower everyday either (unless I'm working or going out in public all day) Chris showers every day, but his are like 5 seconds. Shelby gets a bath every night but we only fill the tub half up...our last bill was like $35!!