Monday, June 20, 2011

Happy 5th Birthday, Wooder!

Does anyone even look at this thing anymore? If so, thanks for the dedication!

Today marks Davis' 5th birthday and I think there's no better time than now to revive this thing!



When Davis was born, Justin and I had no idea what the next few months would have in store for us. I was encouraged by my wonderful mother-in-law, Denise, to document my experience and it's probably the best advice she's ever given me because, without it, I know I wouldn't remember much from those 16 weeks Davis spent in the NICU. I LOVE looking back on it and remembering, in detail, that crazy, stressful time in our lives. And while I won't divulge all of the mushy, personal stuff, I thought it would be nice to share my entries as each day, 5 years later, passes. Hope you enjoy...

June 19, 2006: 30 weeks gestation. I left work early, due to a thumb bleed (ha! any excuse to get out of there!). Took a nap and woke up around 7pm. Had lots of Braxton Hicks contractions. Even though mom gave me an ultrasound at her work and everything seemed fine, I still went to the hospital around 10pm because the contractions didn't go away. Nurses and midwife hooked me up to monitors and Baby's heart rate dropped. Rushed to prepare me for emergency c-section (IV started, steroid shot for baby's lungs (probably one of the worst pains I've ever had in my life), consent forms, etc). I wasn't dilated and Baby stabilized so Justin, mom, and I went to an overnight room. The contractions turned into extreme pain. I started vomiting and bleeding. Doctor said surgery could no longer be avoided. I was put under anesthesia since we couldn't even wait for the epidural to take effect. Baby was born at 5:09am on June 20, 2006. He weighed 2 lbs, 9 oz. and was 15 in. long. Baby was sent to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

June 20, 2006: Family, friends, and flowers poured in. I was on morphine and don't remember much from today. I went to see Baby, but was sick and weak and couldn't stay long.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I am a dedicated reader. I check every single day, well every Monday – Friday. :) SO HAPPY to read something new!

LOVE me some Davis.

Melissa Witt said...

Yay! Your back to blogging! I check it at least once a week. You do a great job! Keep it up!

Stacy said...

I am also a dedicated reader...:)

He is such a fighter and has come such a long way! Love that boy!